You can also read the About the TWT and the FAQ pages for more information about the certificate.
Selecting from Two Certificate Options
There are two options for the TWT Program – A Graduate TWT Certificate for instructors enrolled in a graduate program at Penn State and an Instructor (HRDC) TWT Certificate for other instructors at Penn State. Although requirements are nearly identical, the registration process differs because the Graduate TWT program is co-sponsored by the Graduate School and the Instructor TWT by Human Resources. Thus two different types of certificates are available.
Who qualifies for each program?
- Graduate TWT (Graduate School) – Instructors who are in a post-graduate program at Penn State and have had instructional experience in a course using technology can submit a portfolio. This includes Graduate Assistants (GA) and other graduate candidates with instructional experience.
- Instructor TWT (HRDC) – Instructors who are on the Penn State payroll and who have used technology in a course can submit a portfolio. This may include full-time instructors, part-time instructors as well as instructors who have other roles within Penn State. If you are not clear about your situation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: In both programs, you may begin the TWT process before completing all their technology training and instruction. However, the final portfolio should include actual examples of technology in instruction.
Registration depends on which program you intend you intend to complete your certificate in.
- For both programs, you need to first identify yourself to your departmental TWT representative. If your department has no representative, you can contact email@example.com for assistance in identifying a representative within your department.
- If you are applying for the HRDC option (Office of Human Resources), enroll yourself for the Teaching with Technology option within the HRDC registration system.
- Go to https://secureweb.ohr.psu.edu/HRDC/catalog/HRDC_Catalog.cfm
- Select the Teaching with Technology Certificate option within the topic menu and click Search Now.
- Select a section close to the due date in which you intend to complete the certificate. For instance, if you intend to complete a certificate in December, select a January section. If you intend to complete a certificate in February, select a May section.
You can begin work during any semester, but you must have your portfolio approved prior to leaving Penn State.
Note: If you have already been using technology in your teaching, you can begin compiling your portfolio immediately. Otherwise, it is suggested you learn different technologies before you begin your portfolio
Specific deadlines are announced for fall, spring and summer sessions, although there is flexibility for completing and approving portfolios.
- Graduate TWT – This portfolio should be approved before graduation. Thus deadlines correspond to a period of two weeks before the final written thesis is due.
- Instructor TWT – Deadlines are posted on the HRDC Website and are scheduled for several weeks after the semester ends. A Graduate TWT can also be submitted by that time so long as the candidate is not graduating.
TWT Training Pages
Below are some links to various training resources for different skills.
TWT Portfolio Pages
Here are details on how to plan and complete your portfolio.
The Teaching With Technology certificate program
is sponsored by Teaching and Learning with Technology and
participating academic departments with the support of
The Graduate School.