In this session, we will create a blog that will house the portfolio and add a teaching philosophy page. In the next session we'll cover how to change the appearance and home page photo on the portfolio.
Create a Blog and Edit Home Page
- Make sure you have activated your PASS Personal Web space at http://www.personal.psu.edu.
- Go to http://blogs.psu.edu and click Log in currently in a green box to the right.
- Go to the Create menu and select Blogs.
Note: If you do not see the Blogs option in the Create menu, go to the top white location tab and select System Overview.
- Enter the title of your portfolio into the Blog Name field.
- In the Template Set menu, select Professional Website.
- Complete the forms to create your blog. Click the Publish link in the green box when prompted.
- Click the View Site button (a document icon) at the top to view the new portfolio. You should see a page with a top header and four tabs for Home, Blog, About and Contact.
- Click the Edit this content button at the bottom of the screen to edit text of the initial Welcome page. A page editing form appears.
- Save the form when the edits are complete. Click the View Page icon (circular arrows) to view the page. The page will open in a new tab or window in your browser.
Add a Teaching Philosophy Page
- Make sure you are in the editing view of the blog.
- Click Create in the top links then select Page. A page editing form will appear.
- The Title of your page is the name of the tab; therefore shorter titles are recommended.
- Enter in the content of the page as desired.
- Enter @topnav in the Tags field. This indicates that the page corresponds to a tab.
- Set the Status to Published, then click Save to create and publish the page.
- Click the View Page icon to view the page. The page will open in a new tab or window in your browser.
A new tab should appear to the right of the Home tab. If this tab does not appear, then close the page to return to edit mode and make sure @topnav is in the Tags field.
Edit the default About and Contact Pages
To edit any page, click Manage then Pages then click the page you wish to edit.
Make New Tab Appear on All Pages
- Login and enter your blog.
- Click Manage then Pages in the upper list of links to view a list of all pages in your portfolio.
- Check each page within your portfolio, including all pages corresponding to a tab.
- Click the Publish link at the top of the list.
Back to Blog Portfolio Tips