- The Educational Gaming Commons (EGC) develops physical infrastructures and community connections in order to promote the broad impact of educational gaming within the Penn State teaching, learning, and research environment.
- Stimulate research on the educational uses of games and virtual environments, gaming culture, and the gaming industry.
- Assist faculty in creating new games, virtual worlds, or simulations or in using existing ones to enrich teaching and learning.
- Maintain a specialized physical environment, the EGC Lab, in which these research and educational activities can take place.
- Cultivate a community of faculty, students, and staff who are interested in educational gaming and the gaming industry.
- Share the results of gaming research and new pedagogical practices with the Penn State community, other educational institutions, and commercial partners.
- Development of educational games, virtual worlds, and simulations.
- Meeting with Penn State faculty to foster the use and development of educational games, virtual worlds, and simulations.
- Engaging in basic and applied research and evaluation of tools and techniques relating to educational games, virtual worlds, and simulations.
- Facilitate the use of the EGC Lab for course delivery.
- Coordination of a Faculty Engagement Initiative each year.
- Sponsoring a Faculty Fellow biyearly.
- Sponsoring guest speakers and events around educational games, virtual worlds, and simulations.
- Establishing liaisons with researchers and research groups outside of Penn State.
- Securing internal and external funds to provide support for specific projects.
EGC Community Sites
2010 Faculty Fellow Project
2010 Game Projects
2009 Game Projects
- ChemBlaster Project
- Typo Development
- Construction Project Development
- SimHealth Project
- Music Education Project
2008 Game Projects
- EcoRacer Development
- EGCHangman Development
- EGCJeopardy Development
- Palmer Location-Based Project Development
Conceptual Projects Not Under Development
EGC 2009 Summer Camp
- EGC Summer Camp 09
- 2009 Symposium Pre-Conference Game Description
- Synopsis of EGC Summer Camp 09